Friday, May 29, 2009

Compost, Clover and Moss




So, I got inspired to not wait until I had a nifty devise to start a compost heap.  I got the smallest little fencers at Home Depot and they turned out to be plenty tall to keep my four-legged friend out of it.  Good for me!  I feel much better about myself not throwing away all of our kitchen waste.  Hopefully it doesn't smell too bad.  

Turns out, despite most of my plants in the garden looking pretty good and healthy- I am overrun by clover!  I feel like my soil must have been contaminated with clover seed!  I am pretty overwhelmed because they are so small, it is impossible to weed them efficiently.  I've already devoted many hours to pulling them out but they come back so fast.  I'm not really sure if they're harmful or not, so that keeps me from losing sleep.  Also, I have a thin layer of moss growing, which I'm also hoping is not harmful.

My soil is cracking in some places, even though it is moist.  I feel like I need some good earthworms, but every time I try to pick some up when I'm out on a walk- I get too squeamish- yuck.  Also, I laid out my soaker hose today.  All in all, things are still looking pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment