Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sprouts!





Yay! I have sprouts!  I've probably had them for a few days, but I didn't notice because they were so small.  But this morning I noticed that I had TONS of spinach and swiss chard sprouts and then when I looked closer, I noticed there is at least one baby sprout for EVERY single plant!  Also there were some little clover sprouts and I don't know how they got in there, but I plucked them and ate them.  I need to thin out a lot of the sprouts, but I tried to today and they mostly just broke, so (after I ate the ones I'd already pinched) I decided I'm going to have to wait until they are a little stronger to thin them out- maybe in a few days.  

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that I don't have a green thumb because while the spinach came up everywhere, it was much thicker on the side that Wendy planted then the side that I planted, so... I'm lame somehow but it's ok.  

I also went to the Grovetown Farm & Garden Center and asked what I should use for mulch, since my friend Rich advised me that gardens in the south need mulch to retain water.  The guy at the store said to use a bale of hay and threw one in my trunk, which seemed great at the time.  But when I got home, I realized I'm going to have messy pieces of hay in the trunk for a really long time.  I'll probably throw it on after my sprouts get a bit bigger.  


No comments:

Post a Comment